What is Humility in the bible? Why Should We Be Humble?
How will we define humble? Humility is stated many times in the Bible as a righteous trait to happen in our lives. Let’s explore the biblical meaning of being humble and how we can achieve this noble function.
We stumble into the word humility loads in the Bible. But how do we define humble? What exactly is humility? And why is it essential?
What is humility in the bible?
Humility is regularly characterized as right gratitude and a lack of arrogance, a modest view of one’s self. However, the biblical definition of humility is going beyond this. Humility is a crucial and non-stop emphasis of godliness in the Bible, as we are called upon to be humble followers of Christ and accept as true within the understanding and salvation of God. Let us be humble before our creator for the gift of life we have been given.
Biblical humility is grounded in the nature of God. The Father descends to help the poor and stricken; the incarnate Son manifests humility from beginning till His crucifixion. The coupled utilization of “meek” and “humble in heart” in Matthew 11:29 emphasizes Christ’s humility before humankind, whom he came to serve, and His submission before God. Humility and meekness are regularly interrelated as both are righteous trends for serving the will of God.
The profound Bible verse of Proverbs 3:5 is an awesome summation of the biblical meaning of humility. To be humble, we need to have faith that God will lead us in the great way to live and what to avoid in temptation. We are to put entire trust in the Lord and not misinform ourselves with vanity or lust. We ought to lean on the knowledge, wisdom, and divinity of God to show us the righteous route through prayer, meditation, fasting, and different trustworthy practices. In order to do this, we ought to have the initial requirement of humility to open our hearts and withdraw from the arrogance of our ego.
“Humility is the fear of the Lord; its wages are riches and honor and life.” Proverbs 22:4
Proverbs offers us a deeper look into the biblical meaning of humility as we are given a direct clarification. “Humility is the fear of the Lord,” provides a very particular definition. Not does being humble encompass trusting God and following his will, however furthermore fearing the consequences of neglecting His instructions for reality, love, work ethic, mercy, and beyond. Humility is recognizing the marvelous power of God and the ability retribution He will condemn upon us if we do not aim our motive towards righteousness.
Check out this post: What Are The 7 Deadly Sins In Order?
Merriam-Webster truly defines humility as “freedom from pride or arrogant: the exceptional or state of being humble.” For similarly intensity into this definition, let look at the 3 senses in which humble is defined:
1) Not proud or haughty: not boastful or assertive
2) Reflecting, expressing, or provided in a spirit of deference or submission; a humble apology
3) Ranking low in a hierarchy or scale; not expensive or costly
Check out this post: “The Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Wisdom”
Importance of Humility
The significance of humility is at once related to the deadly effects of pride. Pride separates us from God as we do not renowned and admire the eternal sovereignty of our Lord. Therefore, the significance of humility is seen in the deep gratitude we hold in right reputation of God’s divinity and love for us. Humility’s importance is also observed in spotting our unsuitable nature as people on the world and our susceptibility to sin if not vigilant against temptation. “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls round like a roaring lion, in search of someone to devour.” ~ 1 Peter 5:8
Humility is frequently cited in scripture because it relates to our salvation in Jesus Christ. Christi Given gives a tremendous précis of the significance of being humble in our courting with God:
- To enter God’s presence we should come humbly to the throne: 1 Peter 5:6.
- God says the meek shall inherit the earth: Matthew 5:5.
- The proud are cast down and could be humbled: James 4:10.
- When we’re humbled or maybe while we go through, we want to remember we can in the long run reign with Christ: 2 Timothy 2:12.
- Jesus even humbled Himself, therefore we ought to also have the thoughts of humility: Philippians 2:5-11.
Check out this post: A Morning Prayer to Start The Day
What is humility in the bible?
- Do nothing out of egocentric ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility charge others above yourselves, not seeking to your own activities however each of you to the interest of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the equal mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; as a substitute, he made himself not anything via taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in look as a person, he humbled himself by turning into obedient to death— even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee must bow, in heaven and on the earth and underneath the earth, and every tongue well known that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the honour of God the Father. Philippians 2:3-11
- But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows mercy to the humble” James 4:6
- For all those who exalt themselves can be humbled, and people who humble themselves might be exalted.” Luke 14:11
- Humble yourselves, therefore, below God’s effective hand, that he may additionally raise you up in due time. 1 Peter 5:6
- Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, dress yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and persistence. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a conflict towards others. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over these kinds of virtues placed on love, which binds them all together in perfect solidarity. Colossians 3:12-14
- When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2
- Before a downfall the heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor. Proverbs 18:12
- If my people, who are referred to as through my name, will humble themselves and pray and looking for my face and turn from their depraved ways, then I will listen from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Check out this post: Bible Verses About Love Your Enemies?
Christian Quotes about Humility
- “You can have no more sign of confirmed delight than when you think you are humble sufficient.” – William Law
- “I am persuaded that love and humility are the best attainments in the school of Christ and the brightest evidences that He is certainly our Master.” – John Newton
- “Do not allow the spark of discord and enmity to smolder. The longer you wait, the more the enemy tries to cause confusion among you. Be watchful, in order that he does not mock you. Humility destroys all of his schemes.” – St. Macarius of Optina
- “A humble man is in no way rash, hasty or perturbed, in no way has any hot and volatile thoughts, however always stays calm. Even if heaven were to fall and cleave to the earth, the humble man would not be dismayed. Not every quiet man is humble, but every humble man is quiet. There isn’t any humble man who is not self-confined; but you will find many that are self-confined without being humble. This is also what the meek humble Lord intended while He stated, ‘Learn of Me, for I am meek and humble of heart, and ye shall find rest unto your souls.’ [Matt 11:29] For the humble man is continually at rest, due to the fact there is not anything that could agitate or shake his thoughts.” – St. Isaac the Syrian
- “The hope of salvation from the delusions and the heresies, the improvements and the traps of depraved people and of the satan is prayer, repentance and humility.” – Elder Joseph the Hesychast